Did you see the game? I'm not sure how they broadcast the Olympics in the states anymore, but I have been unable to watch anything here since we do not have an antenna on the tv. So I get my info from the net and watch the "live results" on certain games. It helps that Beijing is only one time zone ahead of us.
At any rate, I decided to just check to see if anything could be seen. So I turn on the tv (which is there for dust gathering purposess unless watching parent ok'd dvd's). Guess what they were playing on the "Rusiya" channel 2? You got it, the semi-finals between Russia and US - men's vball! David was extra excited because he recognized Mr. Priddy (he and Yura went to a game at the end of last season) and he starts rooting for the USA team. Of course, without an antenna, it still had a fuzzy look to it, but in color!!!!
Kiana and Misha soon join us in chanting "U S A" and the fun picks up momentum. Kiana wants to know where Mrs. Priddy is. Can we see her in the stands? Misha just likes the idea of getting to shout "U S A" indoors - a usual no-no (shouting, that is). So we watched the guys win the second set. They are up two games to zero. Then the telecast jumps to 15-13 in the third set, Russia winning. Russia goes on to win sets 3 & 4. This is now getting intense. They pick up the telecast in the 5th game, tied up at 8. Will they pull it off? Will I have to eat humble pie to the women's Bible Study since I already said the US is going to win? Will I have time to clean up the house now that we have taken this Olympic detour? Who cares! In the end, the guys pull it off - US ADVANCES TO THE FINALS TO PLAY FOR THE GOLD!!!!
After jumping up and down and probably scaring our neighbors, the tv was turned off. Life got back to "normal". We had lunch late. Now I know why we can't get the one channel that shows continuous coverage of the Olympics (23 hours a day) - Mama is an Olympic-maniac. Always has been! In Olympics past she has tuned out the world and sat glued to the little box for hours, watching ordinary people who have trained for years, if not lifetimes, become heroes - persevering and enduring to the bitter end. Can't do that with four little ones tugging at your shirt, staring at you with furrowed brows, demanding something be put into the hole in the front of their faces or their imminent death will be on your shoulders. Wait until they get older and they can get their own food, I'm thinking, but not saying out loud. :-)
In all seriousness, I was really proud of the guys. The fact that my children know that one of them is a Christian, well, that makes it even sweeter. We will have them over for a celebration dinner when they get back. Enjoy the games if you like sports. If you are not an Olympic-maniac like myself, or if you don't even like sports - it's okay. Perseverence is admirable in any venue in life, especially if you "press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" - Philippians 3:14. Have a blessed day!
PS My spell check isn't working, so I apologize for the typeos!
No comments:
Post a Comment