Sunday, August 10, 2008

Brilliant moment?

Yesterday was one of those days where I was in the pro-active mode. It started out with getting up early, making breakfast, establishing pre-meal and post-meal chores with the kids (they loved that idea) and throwing in the first of four loads of laundry (amazing achievements for one day).

The next task? Kiana's hair. Her hair is beautiful, but always prone to horrible tangles. We do the conditioner plus hair detangling spray with a special comb. All that helps, but sometimes she still ends up in tears. TNK (from the dacha post) suggested we cut her hair and keep it short. Her granddaughter has the same problem. So what do I decide to do? Hit the internet and search on how to cut my daughter's hair. I know. I know. People go to school for an extended period of time to learn this art trade. But remember, I am in pro-active mode! My husband suggests to just take her to the salon in the next door building and get her hair cut. I'm thinking, to submit or not to submit? Submit, of course. So Kiana and I go. I ask the man cutting hair if he does children's hair. He said they only do men's hair (so a barber shop, not a salon). So we go looking for another one. Ended up at a store that sells material and buying thread for Kiana's beads - she wants to make necklaces. We got distracted. We better go home before we get expensively distracted!

Got home and decided since we couldn't find a salon, need to do this myself. I was doing really well. Following directions I found on the internet. Even watched a youtube video! Got to the end and can you believe it? It was horribly crooked! Yura took one look and said, "Kiana, get your shoes on. We are going to the salon." They went to the one next door. Turns out they do everyone's hair. Got that mis-translated! Gotta get me some Russian language lessons. The guy even asked Kiana, "What did your papa do to your hair?" To which Yura valiently answered, "It wasn't me. It was her mama."

She came back with the corrected version and everyone commented at church today on how nice her hair looks. Even this did not hinder me from being in pro-active mode. (Back to yesterday) I went to the store with corrected curls Kiana and her brother Misha, bought groceries, and came home and made pizza for dinner (from scratch). Still had some energy left over to make a zucchini cake to take to church today. I did eventually crash into bed after the last load of laundry. In case you are wondering, my two hour nap after church today was brilliant! Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I love that you gave it a vailant effort. Good try Mama... Please, please, please put up a pic of the new do. I would love to see it. You know I cut all of my family's hair but you HAVE to know that the afro's are pretty forgiving, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! We just got back from a worship leaders conference in San Marcos. It was awsome! If I have time I will blog it soon. We are heading out to Portland in a few days so I dont know if I will have time. TTYL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment, huh, Wen?! :) Thank you so much for sharing--brightened my day and put a smile in my heart!!!!!!

    love,
    steph

    P.S. I did a doozie on Emma's hair a few years ago to pinch the pennies . . . my husband scolded me and my mom came over in a hurry to fix it up. Never again!

    ReplyDelete