Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's all for His purposes

Tomorrow morning our pastors are flying in from the states for our church's men's conference. We have been working on getting this place ready for visitors in the midst of sawed-off steel doors, a leaky washing machine hose, general cleaning - on top of the regular scheduled happenings. So yesterday was the day for me to get to IKEA and get the main things we need (reminder: this is our first apartment where we are not living with the owner's things).

I took David with me and we headed to the supermarket first to get some things that we can't get at IKEA. We got a bag full and headed to IKEA. At this point, my friend called and said she and another friend are on their way to meet us. So we knew we had about an hour or so to get through IKEA. We had our list (we had been on the website and wrote down what we needed and how much it cost). We breezed through and got the stuff we needed. David was my list checker and crossed things out as we got them.

When we were almost at the cashier, Yura called and said that we will have a guest staying with us for two days. A brother from a Calvary Chapel in Nizhny Novgorod was visiting and needed a couple of days to stay until his train ride back. He was visiting his parents and his dad kicked him out because his dad is against his son being a Christian. We had met him and his family about the time Yura and I got married. No problem.

I ended up with three big IKEA bags full, an IKEA brown paper bag full of wrapped glass items, plus the bag from Auschan (the supermarket). The girls met us and their eyes bulged. I said, "You know, I hardly ever get here since it is far away and to have the opportunity of a ride home in a car, I am taking full advantage!" They understood and were happy to help me get the sheet, pillow, kitchen items, hangers, etc. to the car.

On the way, I was reminded of about a year ago - when we were in Kiev. We spent the last two days with friends we had met that had a nice big apartment. During one of our conversations, the hostess was talking about how the Lord has blessed them with the nice apartment and she needs to be reminded that it is for His purposes. Yes, there are times when they need to say "no" to people who want to stay due to family or other priorities that make it not possible to have guests, but many opportunities present themselves where they are able to serve others by being hospitable. It was one of those conversations where you think, "I'll tuck that information away for a rainy day."

The good rainy day has come, so-to-speak. We had one visitor stay with us Monday night, even when we didn't have enough sheets! Then we have another guest who is here Wednesday, Thursday, and leaving on Friday. Pastor Joe and Pastor Louie fly in tomorrow (Friday) morning and will be here until next Wednesday. Then we have a couple coming in Sunday morning and need a hang out place until church. Monday we are having a women's banquet here while the men are at their conference. And you know what? I'm loving it! The kids love having guests and it really is good practice in hospitality, which is a command - "Be hospitable to one another without grumbling." I Peter 4:19

When we were praying about this place, we wanted it to be one where we can serve people; a refuge for those in need. God is fulfilling that prayer request! I have to be reminded that it is okay if I don't get my "list" done. It's the attitude of hospitality that is important.

On that note, I should get to bed since the guys are coming early in the morning and Russian pancakes is the main request (from my family). We are blessed to have so many friends and opportunities to serve them! You are more than welcomed to come and visit. Have a blessed day!

PS Yura and Tracy fixed the door and the hose doesn't leak anymore. :-)

3 comments:

  1. You guys were such a blessing in our home! (I'm amazed that I actually said something memorable.) It sure looks like you are getting some good practice in hospitality!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God!!!!! "Slava Bogu," that is! :) Reminds me of a happier Corrie Ten Boom story! :) All God needs is faithfulness and He'll do the rest! Thank you so much for sharing and God bless you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianna -

    Loved meeting you guys and keeping up through blogs. I "borrowed" another idea from you, if you don't mind. Later this month we are starting a monthly meeting with devotions (and tea and coffee, of course) for the ladies that are in the city. Surprisingly, about half are here for non-missionary reasons (business, sports, etc.). Praying all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete